Karcher K5.540 Review: The best Karcher pressure cleaner for most everyday jobs is the X-Series K5.540. It’s an electric powered washer with 2000 PSI and 1.4 GPM. It has the capability to siphon water through the pump so if you have a rainwater collector or some other still water you can use that through this cleaner.
This is the top of the line electric pressure washer from its X-Series range. Designed to outlast any other pressure washer, this machine packs in the power of induction motor with the ability to operate non-stop for longer periods. It provides two spray wands, an onboard soap solution storage compartment and comes with a DirtBlaster Spray Wand that helps you increase pressure by 50 percent. For low pressure cleaning, the VPS or Vario Power Spray wand handles regulated pressure exactly as much as is required. You can even connect a garden hose with the right quick connect adapter with this pressure washer.
Features and Specifications of the Karcher K5.540
- Comes with N-Cor Pump – Karcher’s Patented Sel Priming Pump.
- High pressure electric washer designed specifically for residential usage.
- Quick connect mechanism, pressure hose reel, detergent tank and water cooling for the induction motor.
- Comes with DirtBlaster spray wand, Vario Spray Wand, Trigger Gun and an accessory storage bay.
- Upright design with 1 year limited warranty.
[easyazon_link asin=”B004P5POKM” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”besdeaandrev-20″ add_to_cart=”no” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”no”]More Features and Specifications[/easyazon_link]
Main Benefits of the Pressure Washer
Karcher makes 3 series of electric pressure washers: K5, K3 and K2 – with K5 being the latest and the most advanced cleaner and K2 the most entry level. Let’s take a look at the differences between each model series and tell you why the best purchase is the most expensive one – the K5series…
K5 Series (2000 PSI and Starting at $250)
- The K5 series have more PSI and GPM than K3 and K2.
- They’re also built with more long-lasting parts like the water cooled motor which has 5x the life.
- K5series has a hose reel which the others don’t.
Tool critic did a review on Amazon that gave the K5.540 4 stars out of 5 but he had some criticism:
“I bought the Karcher K5.540 because it seemed to be the best brand name electric available. A good gas was $450 +. The price, size, weight, noise, winter storage, convenience aspects, along with the lack of gas engine maintenance were deciding factors. I’ve used it four times so far. Pressure is adequate for around the house. Indeed, too much pressure can be damaging. The downside is that it’s an upright, prone to falling over especially on uneven surfaces. […]“
K3 Series (1800 PSI and Starting at $177)
- Most models in this range have no hose reel (all but 1) and so loose hose for you to deal with.
- The top models in the K3 series are quite similar to the K5′s just less PSI.
- The models starting in the < $200 region have no hose reel and are quite unstable looking – with their smaller size wheels.
K2 (1500 PSI and Starting at $97)
- Cheaply built with plastic connections and the like.
- Probably fine for light use and small jobs.
- Obviously, these units are very affordable and small so easy to store.
Ultimately the recommended option from Karcher is the K5.540 Series. The pressure washer is 2000 PSI and 1.4 GPM. And it’s currently $269 on Amazon. You get a versatile pressure washer that can handle pretty much any job you throw at it around the home – gutters and driveway for sure.
The main competitor of the Karcher K5.540 within Karcher is the K3.540, a lower model of Karcher which is $30 cheaper and you’re getting 200 PSI less but 0.1 GPM more. Also the K3 series doesn’t have the hose reel so you’re dealing with loose hose. $30 for 200 PSI and a hose reel built-in – worth it I say.